Friday, April 30, 2010

Memories and Photos

I first met Aunt Joanie just before she married my favorite Uncle, Bob. My uncle was but 16 years older than I, and I had a HUGE crush on him. I was furious that he was getting married!! (I think my sister, Cindy, felt the same way.) AJ was so beautiful.

At their wedding, my father was the hero of the day, as he found a replacement for the missing white carpet AJ needed to properly walk down the aisle. My sister got to be a flower girl with my cousin, Bug Riesmeyer (Sutton). Having all the guests sign the guest book was my job. My brother, Stewart, and Bug's brother, Duncan, raced each other to see who could eat more carrots, Stewart, or olives, Duncan, at the reception. I believe both were over 200 each when they both raced to the bathroom! AJ's best friend Jennie Jones was the maid of honor.

I am going to put in wedding photos first. And then I will put in various photos of AJ before we met her, including photos of her parents and sister, Marguerite. Later I will add photos of her, my uncle and all of their children, grand children, and friends.

I do hope that AJ's friends and family will email me at:
cbates@carolynbates.com (802-862-5386)
and include memories and photos (please send HUGE jpg files), so that I may add these to this blog as well as put them in the Memorial Service, and in a scrapbook that my mom (Bob's sister, Marie Louise) and my sister (Cindy Bates Koster) and I are assembling as a gift to Bob. Apparently I can get the blog printed into a book as well, for anyone who wants a copy.

When I get the official Memorial for Joan Gartside, I will post that here. I have seen the basic plan that Uncle Bob has put together. It will be a ten star event, not to be missed, with songs, poems, memories, and a piano solo. Sunday May 30, 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment